The 2018 final is the best we could watch this year.
Real Madrid v Liverpool
Real Madrid and Liverpool contest is the 63rd European Cup in Kiev, Ukraine’s capital. Real is an 12-time winner of the Champions League; Liverpool have 5 titles.
- Serbian referee Milorad Mazic, 45, will be the man in the middle for the final.
- Real Madrid have won all six of their UEFA Champions League finals, a record number of wins. Liverpool return to the final for the first time after 2007.
- The fixture is a repeat of the 1981 European Cup final, won 1-0 by Liverpool in Paris to give them a third triumph in the competition in five years. That was Madrid’s last defeat in the final of this competition.
- That 1981 victory is also the only time an English club has prevailed against Spanish opposition in a European Cup final. La Liga clubs have won the other three meetings, Barcelona beating Arsenal in 2006 (2-1) and Manchester United in both 2009 (2-0) and 2011 (3-1).
- In March 2009 Liverpool forced Real Madrid to their biggest UEFA Champions League defeat (4-0) thanks to two Steven Gerrard goals and further strikes from Fernando Torres and Dossena.
The teams’ news and game prediction continues under the Match Center.
Ζinedine Zidane has a full roster to choose from following the return from injury of Ronaldo and Carvajal, both of whom appear certain to start. There is debate as to whether it will be Bale or Benzema up top alongside CR7; in big games the Frenchman tends to get the nod but the Welsh is also in form right at the right time.
Emre Can has been out since March with a back injury but has been taking full part in training since Monday. Milner is likely to feature after recovering from a muscle strain, while Alexander-Arnold, 19, will become the club’s youngest player in a European Cup final if he starts.
Prediction: I expect many goals, a draw and Liverpool to win the trophy in the extra time or at the penalty shootout. I have backed the draw at 3.90 (bet365), the Over 3.5 goals at 2.20 (Novibet) as well as the 2-2 and 3-3 Correct Score at 10.00 and 29.00 respectively with bet365 (prices correct on Friday 25/6 at 11am).
Possible line-ups (suspensions and injuries)
Real Madrid: Navas (CRC); Carvajal (ESP), Varane (FRA), Ramos (ESP), Marcelo (BRA); Casemiro (BRA), Kroos (GER), Modrić (CRO), Isco (ESP); Ronaldo (POR), Benzema (FRA)
Liverpool: Karius (GER); Alexander-Arnold (ENG), Van Dijk (NED), Lovren (CRO), Robertson (SCO); Henderson (ENG), Milner (ENG), Wijnaldum (NED); Mané (SEN), Firmino (BRA), Salah (EGY)
Out: Oxlade-Chamberlain (knee ligaments), Gomez (ankle), Matip (thigh)
Doubtful: Emre Can (back)